Writ of Retrieval

If a person is unable to enter a residence or former residence to retrieve property belonging to the person or the person's dependent because the current occupant is denying the person entry, the person may apply to the Justice Court for an order authorizing the person to enter the residence, accompanied by a peace officer, to retrieve specific items of personal property according to the Texas Property Code Section 24A.002.

The applicant, under oath, must certify that the applicant or the applicant's minor dependent requires personal items located in the residence that is only of the following types:

  • medical records
  • medicine and medical supplies
  • clothing
  • child-care items
  • legal or financial documents
  • checks, bank info or credit cards in the name of the applicant
  • employment records
  • personal identification documents
  • copies of electronic records containing legal or financial documents
  • assistance or service animals used by applicant or their dependents
  • applicants’ tools, equipment, books, and apparatus used for applicant’s trade or profession

To determine the venue for your case, refer to the Texas Property Code Section 24A.002. Please visit Texas Constitution and Statutes website.

To search the Justice Court Precinct, please visit Tarrant County Comprehensive Address Information Directory.


If you are representing yourself, we encourage you to review the below resources.

Self-Help Legal Information Packet: When You Have Been Locked Out or Your Landlord Has Cut Off Your Utilities

Writ of Retrieval, Re-Entry, and Restoration Paquete con Informacion



  • Not available at this time


1.    File with Justice Court 7 and defendant to be served by Constable 7.

  • Fees
  • $54 filing fee plus $75 Constable fee
  • If granted an additional $5 writ fee plus $150 Constable fee
    • The court will produce the first set of copies at no charge, but any additional copies for additional defendants required to be served with citations, will be an additional charge. The fees are $1 for the first page and .25 cents for every page thereafter. Court reserves the right to correct payment if under or over paid via E-File.
    • If you cannot afford the filing fee and court cost, please submit a Statement of Inability to Afford Court Cost along with the application.



A case number will be provided when case is processed. The court will schedule a hearing and notify you via email.