How do I........ ? (courts and law)


...check on the status of a case or see when the case is set for trial?

In order to check on the status of a case, or see when it is set for trial, you will need to contact our office at 817-884-1076 so that the case number can be researched in the county computer.


...file a lawsuit?

If you want to file a lawsuit, you should obtain an attorney. Check the law library to see how an actual original petition is filed with the courts.


...find out if the defendant filed an answer in my case?

When a citation is issued to the defendant, they have twenty days to file an answer to the courts. They have eight days if it is a justice of the peace appeal. If the defendant does not submit an answer, the plaintiff can immediately file a default judgement.


...find out in which court my case is scheduled?

When you come to the Justice Center, 401 W. Belknap Street in Fort Worth, you may go to one of two customer service counters set up to assist you tell you the location of the court where your case will be heard as well as the name of the judge.


...get a certified copy of a criminal record?

To get a copy of a criminal record you may come to our office at 401 West Belknap Street on the 2nd floor of the Tarrant County Justice Center.

The cost of a criminal history search (for job applications) is $5. Copies of criminal records cost $1 per page. Clerk certifications cost an additional $5.

You may mail your request with payment to Tarrant County Clerk, Justice Center, 401 West Belknap, Fort Worth, Texas, 76196, or call 817-884-1066 for additional information.


...get my cash bond back?

To request the redemption of your cash bond, come to our office at 401 West Belknap Street in downtown Fort Worth with your driver's license or other photo identification. Cash bonds are redeemed between 8 a.m. and noon and between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

You may mail us a notarized request to have your cash bond mailed to you. Be sure to include your case number and your current address. Our address is County Clerk, Justice Center, 401 West Belknap, Fort Worth, Texas, 76196. For more information about cash bonds, call 817-884-2848.



This page was last modified on February 07, 2017


County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196