Juvenile firesetter intervention programs are successful in reducing firesetting behavior. Arson has one of the highest rates of juvenile involvement. Fire interest in children is almost universal. Although curiosity about fire is natural, setting fires is not.
The Tarrant County Fire Marshal’s Office has designed a Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Program to help educate juveniles and their families on the dangers and seriousness of setting fires.
For additional information or to discuss a child’s fire behavior, email us or call 817-838-4660.
Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Program
What you can expect from this program:
- Honesty - Sometimes it may be difficult to hear "brutal truth" about your child's behavior, but open, honest communication is necessary.
- Sincerity - We want to assist you with your problem.
- Confidentiality - Except when required by law, all communications and information gathered through the program is held in strict confidence.
What this program will not do for you?
- Instantly "cure" your child's fire setting behavior - We will attempt to identify the root cause or causes of your child's behavior. Many times the cause has existed for a long period of time and cannot be changed quickly.
- Scare your child into ceasing his or her behavior - Most of the time fire play is a symptom of a much deeper problem or even simple curiosity. Scare tactics are ineffective in eliminating the cause and serve to mask the symptom, only to have the behavior resurface later. Education and/or counseling can set the child on the right path.
- Counsel your child to deal with mental health issues - We are not trained mental health counselors. Sometimes children and families need professional counselors to help them resolve underlying problems.
What this program expect from you?
- Honesty - We need to know intimate details to accurately assess the root cause of your child's fire setting behavior.
- Participation - Your participation is necessary to help your child overcome his or her dangerous behavior. Your child needs your support and guidance in this time of self-examination and change.
- Commitment - We expend a great deal of effort to identify the cause of your child's behavior and educate him or her regarding fire safety and other developmental issues. We need your commitment to work with us and your child to achieve a successful outcome.