Civilian Healthcare (CHAMPVA)


The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA), is a comprehensive health care program in which the VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with ELIGIBLE beneficiaries. In general, the CHAMPVA program covers most health care services and supplies that are medically and psychologically necessary.


To be eligible for CHAMPVA, you cannot be eligible for TRICARE/CHAMPUS and you must be in one of these categories: 1. the spouse or child of a veteran who has been rated permanently and totally disabled for a service-connected disability by a VA regional office, 2. the surviving spouse or child of a veteran who died from a VA-rated service connected disability, 3. the surviving spouse or child of a veteran who was -- at the time of death -- rated permanently and totally disabled from a service connected disability or 4. the surviving spouse or child of a military member who died in the line of duty, not due to misconduct in most of these cases (these family members are eligible for TRICARE, not CHAMPVA). Contact CHAMPVA at 800-733-8387 for more information.

Spina Bifida Healthcare Benefits for children

The VA provides monetary allowances, vocational training and rehabilitation and VA-financed health care benefits to certain Korea and Vietnam veterans' birth children who have been diagnosed with spina bifida. For the purpose of this program, spina bifida is defined as all forms or manifestations of spina bifida except spina bifida occulta.

How to Apply

Applications for benefits must first be made through the Denver VA Regional Office by calling 888-820-1756. Once the Denver VA Regional Office determines eligibility, spina bifida awardees or guardians are automatically contacted by the Health Administration Center and registered for healthcare benefits. Beneficiaries receive detailed program material specifically addressing covered and non-covered services and supplies, preauthorization requirements and claim filing instructions.

Bereavement Counseling for Surviving Spouses & Dependent Children

The VA offers bereavement counseling to parents, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who died in the service of their country. Family members of reservists and National Guardsmen who die while on duty are also eligible. Bereavement counseling is assistance and support to people with emotional and psychological stress after the death of a loved one. Bereavement counseling includes a broad range of transition services, including outreach, counseling and referral services for family members. Contact the local VA Vet Center here in Tarrant County at 817-921-9095 (Fort Worth) or 817-274-0981 (Pantego), for more information. Family members and vets may also call the Veterans Crisis Line at 800-273-8255, press 1, for emergency crisis counseling.

This page was last modified on July 06, 2015


County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111

Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.

100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196