Renter Emergencies

Disasters impact renters and homeowners similarly. When it comes to handling emergencies in rental property, some emergencies are obvious such as fire, water/flooding damage, loss of heat, major gas leak, etc where immediate action is made to handle the situation. Unfortunately, some other emergencies that happen to you as a renter may not be viewed as an emergency to the landlord.  Knowing how to be prepared before, during and after your emergency will keep you stress-free and housed.



  • Read your lease agreement
  • Maintain a copy of your lease and safe keep all important documents
  • Get renters insurance
  • Take photos and document all of your belongings
  • Have a plan for what to do, where to go and who to call for help
  • Have a "Go Bag" in case of quick evacuations 


  • Listen to the radio or television for information from local officials and follow their instructions
  • NOAA radio Specific Area Message Encoding code for Tarrant County is 048439
  • Maintain communication with your landlord to stay up to date with the emergency
  • Seek assistance from City or County
  • Follow your emergency plan
  • Make sure you are safe before assisting others.


  • Submit an insurance claim if there is any loss or damage
  • Apply for assistance with FEMA
  • Contact us if your rental is inhabitable because of a declared disaster
  • If being evicted, inquire with rental assistance below based on where you live
  • For legal assistance, contact Legal Aid at 817-336-3943


Make a Plan: Do you have copies of all your documents in a accessible place like the cloud? What is your shelter plan? What is your evacuation route? What is your family communication plan? There is a lot to think about, but visiting will help you plan and be prepared. Information is available in multiple languages too.


What's in your "Go Bag" or Emergency Kit?  Being prepared means having your own food, water, and other supplies to last at least a few days. An emergency disaster supply kit is a collection of basic items that your household may need in the event of an emergency.

Make sure your emergency kit is stocked with the items on the FEMA Emergency Supply List, which you can download or print to take with you to the store. Once you take a look at the basic items, consider what unique needs your family might have, such as supplies for pets or seniors.

For additional information on how to Build a Kit, go to website.


Assessing the impact means looking at the aftermath and trying to restore your home back to normal or even more resilient. Seeking assistance is important and having proof of what is lost and what needs replacement is important to get refunds, make claims and take advantage of programs that is specific to your situation. If you still need assistance after inquiring with FEMA and your insurance company, please contact us so we can talk about your specific needs.

Rental Assistance

Community Development & Housing Department (CDHD) understands the impacts of the sudden loss or reduction of income on homeowners, and renters during emergencies. We are here to provide you with up to date information and where potential resources exist. Not all may be listed on this site. Please check with, United Way of Tarrant County, your city, local community and churches to see if other resources are available.

Please carefully review the options for assistance below and apply according to where you live and your situation. Rental assistance is not guaranteed as eligibility is dependent on your situation and income level, but we strongly encourage you to apply.


Do you need help paying your water bill? Community Action Partners can help you in person November 16, 2023 in Forest Hill and November 30, 2023 in Fort Worth. For more details, please see the flyer for November 16th and the flyer for November 30th.






I have low income, live in the City of Fort Worth and need rental assistance. Apply to the City of Fort Worth by calling 817-392-5795 or apply online City of Fort Worth by clicking here.
I have low income, live in the City of Arlington and need rental assistance.

Apply to the Arlington Housing Authority by calling 817-276-6713 or apply online Arlington Housing Authority  by clicking here.

If you are facing eviction, please call Arlington Urban Ministries at 817-861-8585

I have low income, live in the City of Grand Prairie and need rental and utility assistance.

Call Grand Prairie United Charities at 972-262-2014 for more information

I have low income, live in Tarrant County, but NOT in Fort Worth, Grand Prairie or Arlington. 

I need short term rental assistance because of an emergency.  

Apply To Tarrant County by calling 817-850-7940, option 2 or by clicking on this link to fill out the Tarrant County application.

If you received a letter to vacate or an eviction notice due to complications with any variant of COVID-19, please call our office 817-850-7940, option 2

I live in Tarrant County and need Utility Assistance (electric, gas and propane). Apply with Community Action Partners by calling 817-392-5795 or apply on-line Community Action Partners by clicking here.
Or apply online with the State at Texas Utility Help
I live in Tarrant County and need rental assistance. Call Tarrant County Human Services at 817-531-5620 or visit Tarrant County Human Services by clicking here.