Occupational License, also called an essential-need license, is a special type of restricted license issued to individuals whose driver license has been suspended, revoked or denied for certain offenses other than medical or delinquent child support.
An occupational license authorizes the operation of a non-commercial motor vehicle in connection with an individual’s:
2. School-related activities or
3. Performance of essential household duties.
REQUEST AN OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE:
Requests for an occupational license must be made to the justice, county or district court where the individual lives or to the court of original jurisdiction where the offense occurred.
- Petitioner MUST live in Tarrant County OR may file in the county where the suspension occurred.
- If filing in the justice court, Petitioner MUST reside in the precinct where filing or may file in the precinct where the suspension occurred.
- Petitioner cannot have more than one occupational license within the last 10 years preceding the date of the filing of this petition.
- The suspended license must be a Texas License.
- Petitioner can’t apply for Occupational License if Petitioner never had a Texas license.
- Petitioner can live out of county if license was suspended in Tarrant County.
- Justice Courts DO NOT have jurisdiction over suspension for DWI, medical advisory issues, mental issues or child support issues.
JUSTICE COURT FOUR FILING FEES AND DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
No case will be accepted and no action will be taken on the application until all materials are submitted to the Court.
- $54 filing fee
- Fees for copies (includes certified copies) when court order is approved
- Occupational License Petition
-Supplement for Occupational License Petition (if case filed by E-File) *Filing by E-File for Occupational License is unavailable at this time
- Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (SR-22)
- Driving Record (Type AR-Certified Abstracts of Driving Record)
FORTY-FIVE DAYS OCCUPATIONAL DRIVER LICENSE:
Once all documents are received, these will be reviewed by Justice Court Clerk and the Judge.
- Petition and accompany documents meet the requirement of the law. The Judge will sign, and the clerk will call you to come pick up the certified copies.
- Petition does not meet the requirements of the law or there is a question on completeness the petition will be denied.
- The petitioner or its Attorney may request a hearing to be set for you to appear and provide further testimony or documentation for your case.
PETITIONER WILL RECEIVE FROM THE COURT:
- Two certified copies of the petition
- Two certified copies of the court order
- Trip log sheet
- Copy of SR-22
A Copy of the Court Order and Trip log MUST be kept with you at all times and up to date.
TO OBTAIN YOUR OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE FROM AUSTIN DPS:
Call DPS Austin for occupational license fee and/or any additional charges.
After received are documents from the court, Petitioner must submit the following items to DPS:
- A certified copy of the petition and a certified copy of the court order granting the occupational license.
- A Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (SR-22).
- Payment of the occupational license fee.
- Payment of reinstatement fee and any other charges.
Texas Department of Public Safety
Central Cash Receiving
P.O. Box 15999
Austin, TX 78761-5999
Austin Department of Public Safety: English 512-424-2600 Español: 512-424-7181
You should receive your occupational driver license in about 45 days according to Austin DPS.
COURT WILL KEEP:
- Original court order
- Original petition
- Driving record
- Copy of SR-22