Initiate a Vacation Watch for my home
If you are going to be away from home for several days or an extended period you can request that patrol deputies check on your house periodically. Contact the dispatch center at 817-884-1213, 24-hours-a-day to make your request.
- Your property must be in unincorporated Tarrant County. If you live in a municipality (other than our contract towns of Haslet and Edgecliff Village), call your local police department to set up a Vacation Watch.
- Call at least one day, but no more than three days in advance.
- Have information about vehicles, emergency contact information and phone numbers ready when you call.
Tips to remember before you leave:
- Make sure your home looks lived in, not empty.
- Stop mail and cancel deliveries, or have a friend make daily collections.
- Leave shades and blinds in their normal positions.
- Put automatic timers on several lights (with varying schedules).
- Have someone keep your property maintained (mow your yard, for example).
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor.
- Provide a trusted person with your departure and return dates, and an itinerary with phone numbers so you can be reached in an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors, including your garage door, before you leave.
- Take garage door openers out of cars left outside.
- Don’t advertise your plans to strangers. That applies to the casual conversation in the grocery check-out line, and what you post on social media.
Deputies working in your area will be notified of your absence and the information you provide. As they can during their shifts, they will check your home to see if all is well.