Storm Water Construction Permits

On March 5, 2013, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) re-issued the General Permit to Discharge Waste from construction sites, under the Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES). This permit applies to waste discharges, including storm water discharges, from all construction sites that will disturb one or more acres of land, or are part of a common plan of development that -- in total -- will disturb one or more acres of land. Under the Phase II storm water regulations affecting small municipalities, Tarrant County is required to develop and implement a program to reduce pollutants in storm water from construction activities which disturbe one or more acres of land. As part of our program, Tarrant County is requiring construction operators of sites located in the unincorporated areas of the county to comply with the requirements of the TPDES construction permit.

Those individuals and businesses that have a construction project which disturbs at least one acre and where the storm water discharge flows into unincorporated Tarrant County must mail a copy of their Construction Site Notice or Notice of Intent to:

Tarrant County Transportation Department
Attention: Maria C. Moreno
100 East Weatherford - Room 401
Fort Worth, TX 76196

Tarrant County highly recommends that all developers and engineers working in the unincorporated areas of Tarrant County use the integrated Storm Water Management (iSWM) Program for Construction and Development.  This regional initiative by many of the local governments in the North Central Texas area was to produce a document that provides guidance for reducing the impact of storm water runoff from construction activities on downstream natural resources and properties.  Please go to the iSWM website for current document information.

If you have any questions about the TCEQ Storm Water Program, please visit the TCEQ website.  If you have any questions regarding the rules and regulations as they pertain to unincorporated Tarrant County areas, please call 817-884-1250.