Ordering a Veteran's Military Documents Online

The veteran's military discharge document, more commonly known as a DD Form 214, can be ordered online from the National Personnel Record Center if you have access to the Internet, a printer, and a fax machine. The person requesting the document will go to Military Service Records, click on Launch the eVetRecs System to Start your Request Online, enter the veteran's information into the appropriate screens that are shown, print out a copy of the request, sign it, and fax the request to the number on the request. You should get a response from NPRC in about 2 to 3 weeks.

In addition to ordering the veteran's discharge document, you may also request copies of their military personnel and medical records, and replacement awards, citations, medals and decorations. Use the comments section of the screens to make this request. If you are trying to order medical records from time spent in a military hospital, you should request a copy of your "inpatient" medical records in the comments section of the screen. These records are housed separately from the main military medical records. Be sure to include the name of the military hospital and approximate date and year you were a patient there.

Other Ways to Request Military Documents

Iif you do not have access to the Internet, printer and fax machine, you can complete a Standard Form 180, Request for Military Record, and either fax it or mail it to the NPRC. You can get a copy of the SF 180 by calling the Tarrant County Veteran Services Office at 817-531-5645 and we will mail you one.

Once you have the SF 180 completed, either mail it or fax it to: National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138. Their fax number is 314-801-9195. Next of kin are allowed to order the veteran's military records if the veteran is deceased. You will need to include a copy of the veteran's death certificate along with the SF 180 when mailing or faxing to NPRC.

For next of kin using the Internet to order the records, fax along a copy of the veteran's death certificate with the request you printed off.

Emergency Requests

If your request is urgent,  e.g. upcoming surgery, funeral, etc., and there is a deadline associated with your request, please provide this information in the "Comments" section on the screen when ordering online or in the "Purpose" section of the SF 180 and fax it to NPRC's Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764. Their goal is to complete all urgent requests within two working days.

Contact their customer service staff at 314-801-0800 if you have questions or require same day service. If your burial request involves interment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 1-800-535-1117.

They work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits. If the veteran is not going to be interned at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 or signature page from their online request (including signature of the next of kin and proof of death) to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

If your request involves the burial of a Marine Corps veteran, you may also contact the USMC Liaison Officer at 314-538-2344. NOTE: The 1973 fire at the NPRC damaged or destroyed 16-18 million Army and Air Force records of former military personnel discharged from 1912-1964. Although the information in many of these primary source records was either badly damaged or completely destroyed, often alternate record sources can be used to reconstruct the service of the veterans.

While requesting the veteran's DD Form 214/military discharge, also request a copy of the military medical and personnel records, awards, citations and replacement medals/decorations. These may come in handy when trying to support a veteran's or survivor's claim with the VA.

In addition, if you’ve ever filed a claim before with a VA Regional Office, they will have a copy of the veteran's DD Form 214 and military medical records. Just write that VA Regional Office and ask for a copy of the veteran's "claim file". Always provide the veteran's social security number on any correspondence sent to the VA.

To find a VA Regional Office, go to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website and click on the state for your regional office. If the veteran's or survivor's claim was submitted here in North Texas, the VA Regional Office in Waco, TX will have a copy of the veteran's DD 214/military discharge. Write them and ask for a copy of your DD Form 214/military discharge document. Their address is, Department of Veteran Affairs, 701 Clay Ave, Waco, TX 76799.

A Note of Caution

If you, as the veteran or survivor of a veteran, have a claim pending with the VA, do not request a copy of the veteran's claim file until a decision has been made on the claim. If you request the claim file while a claim is in the works, it will only slow down processing of the claim. To learn more about your claim, please contact us at 817-531-5645 or your local Veteran Service Organization.