Summary: Donor, a citizen of Graham, Texas gave documents related to the Texas Emigration and Land Company and Peter's Colony in northwest Texas.
Above: Colonel E. S. Graham
E.S. Graham purchased a salt works in 1871 from Judge Martin Bowers on Salt Creek near the present town of Graham. Mr. Graham observed that buffalo seemed to prefer the area. This observation caused him to get the idea that this territory would be one of the finest cattle raising regions in Texas. By 1872, he and his brother decided to establish a town in the Salt Creek Valley adjoining their salt works. G.A. Graham and his chainman, Absalom B. Gant, surveyed and platted a town site with unusually wide streets, spacious lots and a commerce park. True to the observations, the area did become important to cattle raising. On February 17, 1877, about 100 cattlemen of North and West Texas gathered in Graham and formed the Cattle Raisers Association of Texas. The organizational meeting was held under a live oak tree near the northwest corner of the public square.
Manuscript: Colonel E. S. Graham: Diary September - November 1869 Louisville, Kentucky to Young County, Texas with unsigned preface, not paginated Recollections of Addie M. Graham, 1927, 12 pages bound together with above Letter to Bennett Smith from donor
County Telephone Operator 817-884-1111
Tarrant County provides the information contained in this web site as a public service. Every effort is made to ensure that information provided is correct. However, in any case where legal reliance on information contained in these pages is required, the official records of Tarrant County should be consulted. Tarrant County is not responsible for the content of, nor endorses any site which has a link from the Tarrant County web site.
100 E. Weatherford, Fort Worth, Texas 76196
Copyright 2001-2025 Tarrant County, TX