Debt Claim Cases
Debt Claim Cases
A debt claim case is a lawsuit brought to recover a debt by an assignee of a claim, a debt collector or collection agency, a financial institution, or a person or entity primarily engaged in the business of lending money at interest. Debt claim cases in justice court are governed by Rules 500-507 and 508 of Part V of the Rules of Civil Procedure. To the extent of any conflict between Rule 508 and the rest of Part V, Rule 508 applies.
- The claim can be for no more than $20,000, excluding statutory interest and court costs but including attorney fees if any.
- To search the Justice Court Precinct for your case, please visit Tarrant County Comprehensive Address Information Directory.
- For information on Justice Court Rules, please visit Texas Judicial Branch Rules and Forms website.
If you are representing yourself, we encourage you to review the below resources.
All communications from litigants to the Court and the Court to litigants are conducted electronically using E-File Texas (preferred), email or fax. Be aware; that all notices, copies, judgments, and other documents sent by the Court to litigants will come from the JP1court@tarrantcountytx.gov Email address.
PAYMENT AND FEES:
1. File with Justice Court 1 and serve in Tarrant County
- $54 filing fee
- $75 Constable fee for each person being served
2. File with Justice Court 1 and serve outside Tarrant County
- The Plaintiff is responsible for procurement of service upon the defendant. Once the case is accepted and the citation is generated, it will be mailed or emailed (depending on the delivery method requested) to the Plaintiff to forward to the Constable, Sheriff, or other agency serving the citation.
2. Military Affidavit (if applicable)
- Please visit Single Record Request to verify Active Duty Status to provide proof of Military status.
3. Important Information Regarding Exhibits
- Although not required at the time of filing, it is encouraged that you include any exhibits you might have to prove your case with your initial filing.
Note: Cases filed with a Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs cannot be filed using "Guide and File." These cases MUST be filed through EFileTexas.
-For more information on filing online, please visit E-File.
Accessibility Notice: Due to the complexity of the preceding documents, these documents are scanned images. If you require assistance in accessing the information, please contact Justice Court One at 817-884-1395.